GreenSchoolsConnect (GSC) is a national collaborative initiative powered by Earth Force working to make all school districts shining examples of sustainability.
GreenSchoolsConnect is an innovative, collaborative model that enhances a region’s capacity to increase the number of environmentally sustainable school districts and engage youth as engineers of change who make their schools healthier places to learn and play.
GreenSchoolsConnect leverages existing expertise in communities using Earth Force’s collaborative Youth Engagement Partnership model to:
- Create a common sustainability agenda in schools;
- Bring a systems-thinking perspective to district planning;
- Build networks and identify uncommon collaboratives that can support efforts;
- Engage students as leaders of the transformation to sustainable schools.
For more information, or to join our efforts, please contact us at email@example.com.
"GreenSchoolsConnect provides a valuable resource for advancing collaborations around whole-school sustainability and helps strengthen the emerging networks surrounding the Green Schools Movement. Sustainability, when applied institutionally within a school district, is more than being cognizant of our environmental, social, and economic impacts; it’s also an opportunity to harness talent, and foster innovative thinking, which in turn leads to student enrichment as well as the conservation of taxpayer dollars.”
Jothsna Harris - MN GreenCorps Energy Conservation Member, ISD 191
A Regional Cohort of 65-80 participants meet for a two-day Launch Event to build relationships, share knowledge and resources, identify sustainability projects, and develop action plans.
The participation of cross-functional teams from school districts, including young people, is critical, as successful implementation of sustainability policies and practices requires the engagement of administrators, educators, students, parents, and other school staff including facility, nutrition, and transportation.
- Day 1: Participants are trained in the Earth Force Process, youth engagement, change leadership, sustainability/science content, and case studies from corporate participants. Participants will spend some time in Affinity Groups – participants with similar roles from all districts will discuss challenges and opportunities.
- Day 2: Students join the adults and each district team creates a 12-month action plan to implement their project to improve sustainability in their district.
During the Launch, sustainability experts and practitioners from local corporate, non-profit, higher education, and government organizations join district teams to discuss strategies for increasing sustainability and create a 12-month action plan.
Together, participants create action plans and continue to interact and support each other’s efforts through planned Year Round Collaboratory activities:
- Launch Event
- Team meetings
- Hands-on demonstrations
- Content Webinars
- Green Apple Day of Service
- Support to develop a Green Ribbon Schools application
K-12 school district team participation in GSC will:
- Realize operational savings and efficiencies.
- Create healthy school environments.
- Provide student engagement and leadership opportunities.
- Receive ongoing collaboration and mentorship from cross-sector partners and school districts.
- Access technical support for Green Ribbons Schools application and other sustainability awards.
Corporate, higher education, nonprofit, and government sectors' participation in GSC will:
- Increase brand equity and reach corporate social responsibility goals.
- Create impactful partnerships with colleagues from diverse sectors.
- Advance school district sustainability.
- Contribute expertise and meaningful social, environmental, and economic change.
- Create a dynamic conversation about the challenges and benefits of implementing green and sustainable practices in school districts.
Interested in becoming a corporate partner? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check back soon for information regarding our upcoming Launches.