GreenSchoolsConnect (GSC) is a national collaborative initiative powered by Earth Force working to make all school districts shining examples of sustainability.
GreenSchoolsConnectis an innovative, collaborative model that enhances a region’s capacity to increase the number of environmentally sustainable school districts and engage youth as engineers of change who make their schools healthier places to learn and play.
GreenSchoolsConnect leverages existing expertise in communities using Earth Force’s collaborative Youth Engagement Partnership model to:
increase participants’ environmental sustainability leadership skills,
expand their professional networks, and
provide the tools and coaching necessary to effect systemic change within their schools and school district.
For more information, or to join our efforts, please contact Elizabeth Groginsky (email@example.com or 720-272-3293)
"GreenSchoolsConnect provides a valuable resource for advancing collaborations around whole-school sustainability and helps strengthen the emerging networks surrounding the Green Schools Movement. Sustainability, when applied institutionally within a school district, is more than being cognizant of our environmental, social, and economic impacts; it’s also an opportunity to harness talent, and foster innovative thinking, which in turn leads to student enrichment as well as the conservation of taxpayer dollars.”
Jothsna Harris - MN GreenCorps Energy Conservation Member, ISD 191
A Regional Cohort of 65-80 participants meet for a two-day Launch Event to build relationships, share knowledge and resources, to identify sustainability projects, and develop action plans. Nationally recognized sustainability and change leadership educator Leith Sharp will facilitate the dynamic, highly interactive two-day Launch. Ms. Sharp brings over 20 years of experience greening higher education campuses.
The participation of cross-functional teams from school districts is critical, as successful implementation of sustainability policies and practices require the engagement of administrators, educators, students, parents, and other school staff including facility, nutrition and, transportation.
During the Launch, sustainability experts and practitioners from local corporate, non-profit, higher education, and government organizations join district teams to create an uncommon collaborative.
Together, participants create action plans and continue to interact and support each other’s efforts through planned Year Round Collaboratory activities:
- Launch Event
- Three POD, a peer support team, meetings
- Content Webinars
- Cohort in-person meeting
- Green Apple Day of Service
K-12 school district team participation in GSC will:
- Realize operational savings and efficiencies.
- Create healthy school environments.
- Provide student engagement and leadership opportunities.
- Receive ongoing collaboration and mentorship from cross-sector partners and school districts.
- Access technical support for Green Ribbons Schools application and other sustainability awards.
Corporate, higher education, nonprofit, and government sectors' participation in GSC will:
- Increase brand equity and reach corporate social responsibility goals.
- Create impactful partnerships with colleagues from diverse sectors.
- Advance school district sustainability.
- Contribute expertise and meaningful social, environmental, and economic change.
- Join a dynamic conversation about the challenges and benefits of implementing green and sustainable practices in school districts.
Please check back soon for information regarding our upcoming Launches in Denver, CO on January 28-29, 2015 and
Newark, NJ on February 11-12, 2015.